What Information We Collect
We use personal information collected from donors for the purposes of processing payments and communicating with donors about CVLS, as well as conducting fundraising and other operations of CVLS. This information may include name, amount donated, address, telephone number, donor comments, e-mail address, and any other personal information provided to us (“Donor Data”). For donations by check, Donor Data may also include the data visible on the check.
Personally identifiable and financial information (including donation amounts) that you enter as part of the website’s online donations, fundraising, and/or contact forms is strictly confidential and will not be shared with any other organization.
How We Use That Information
Donor Data may be used for these kinds of purposes:
- Distributing receipts and thanking a donor for donation(s).
- When responding to a question/inquiry, personal information provided is used to respond.
- General communications. Informing donors about fundraising activities, project updates, organizational updates, stories, and other activities of CVLS.
- Internal analysis: I.e. research and analytics.
- Reporting to applicable government agencies as required by law.
Unless otherwise stated, we do not publish, sell, trade, rent or exchange Donor Data. We may use available information, in aggregate, to supplement the Donor Data to improve the information we use to drive our fundraising and communications efforts. We allow donors the option to have their name publicly associated with their donation, or to remain anonymous, as part of the online donation process.
We use data gathered for payment processors and other service providers only for the purposes described in this policy.
Third-Party Platform Policies
We will never sell or share your details with other organizations or companies. The only exceptions are the trusted service providers that allow us to conduct our business. These providers only use your information under the express direction of CVLS and do not have rights to use it for their own purposes.
- Online donation platform:
- Marketing communications platform:
- Accounting software
We strive to keep you updated about the work CVLS is doing and demonstrate the impact your support is creating in the lives of children and families being helped by CVLS’ work. We keep you informed by providing updates by email. You may request to opt-out of these updates by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or simply unsubscribe from an email message.
Chicago Volunteer Legal Services
33 N Dearborn, Suite 400
Chicago, IL 60602
We Support the Donor Bill of Rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share (currently, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services does not share donor names).
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers
NOTE: If you want any of the information described above, please contact the CVLS office.